Virginia Creeper Trail Information, Bike Rental & Shuttle Services
Visit the SunDog Outfitter e-store for Great Outdoor Gear Deals
Daily Bicycle Shuttle Service and Mountain Bike Rentals for the Virginia Creeper Trail
"The Most Beautiful Rail-Trail In the USA"
Air-conditioned Creeper Trail Shuttles from both locations: Adventure Damascus Bicycles & Sundog Outfitter
operating 7 days per week, all year! Open Daily 8AM-6PM
Like us on Facebook for insider information and coupons. 8:00am Early-Bird Shuttle Now Available
We've got your gear at SunDog Outfitter e-Store now open
Adventure Damascus Bicycles has the largest selection of quality, brand-name unique bikes that make your day on the Va Creeper Trail a pleasure.
We provide shuttle service to all of the entry points of the Virginia Creeper Trail including Whitetop Station, Alvarado, and Abingdon as well as a myriad of other area trails.
The Virginia Creeper Trail is possibly the easiest, prettiest mountain bike ride you will ever encounter. The Va Creeper Trail, which is actually the "retired" railway corridor of the Virginia - Carolina Railroad, has become one of the most popular bicycling trail destinations in the eastern United States. With its gently descending grade and well-groomed surface, lending itself perfectly to downhill adventures, the Virginia Creeper Trail is an attractive mountain-bike ride for cyclists of diverse abilities.
We offer daily regularly scheduled bicycle shuttle service to Whitetop Station for families, individuals, and groups to the top of the Creeper Trail (and many points along the way). Just give us a call and we'll take care of everything. Bring your camera because you won't want to miss anything!
Read what Outside Magazine , National Geographic Adventure , Bike Magazine , Washington Post , New York Times , Blue Ridge Outdoors , Watagua Lake Magazine and Cooperative Living Magazine are saying about us. View our photo gallery and our Virginia Creeper Trail slide show.
Would you like to ride two days on the Virginia Creeper Trail and extend your stay in Damascus? Want to ride something different? Want something a bit more challenging than the "upper" Creeper Trail? Check out the Abingdon to Damascus alternative for a welcome change. We also recommend Sun Dog Outfitter at Creeper Trail Depot for shuttle and rental needs for the Virginia Creeper Trail and Appalachian Trail.
Need some suggestions for other things to do in the area? Check out Creeper Trail Info for fun things to see and do and follow this link for suggestions about the Barter Theater in Abingdon, restaurants, Bristol Motor Speedway, Damascus stuff, music opportunities and lots of other fun things to do. Here's the link for other activities and lodging and Damascus Cabins.
- How far is the ride from Whitetop to Damascus? 17 miles, almost all downhill. You'll have to pedal the last 3 miles as it flattens out a bit.
- How long will it take? From 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on how leisurely you want to be about it. We suggest that you take your time because there are many beautiful places to stop and "take it all in".
- Is there water and food and bathrooms along the trail? Yes, there are vault toilets at numerous places including the trailhead at Whitetop. There is water available (seasonal) at Green Cove. ThereThe "Iron Bridge" on the Virginia Creeper Trail above Damascus, Virginia is The Creeper Trail Cafe, a nice little cafe at Taylor's Valley, about 10 miles down, that you can stop and have lunch at as well as many places to eat in Damascus (Mojoe's Coffee, Quincey's Pizza, and the Damascus Old Mill).
- How much does it cost? $13.99 for the shuttle to Whitetop if you bring your own bike, or you can rent a bike from us and shuttle for $27.94. We have a super-duper midweek 20% off discount special. Click here for more info on our rates. Special Kids rate available for kids 12 and under.
- What times does your shuttle go? Weekends we depart every hour on the hour starting at 9AM (we will run 8AM by request). Weekdays we run usually at 10AM and Noon and 1:30PM. Other times as per demand/request. Our shuttles run from both Adventure Damascus and SunDog Outfitter. Between our downtown location and SunDog Outfitter we'll find a shuttle time that's right for you. Abingdon pickup at 8:15 and 9:15 by special arrangement and pre-pay. Just call us to book a shuttle reservation. 276-475-6262 or 888-595-BIKE!
- Can I ride from Abingdon to Damascus? What's it like? It's a really beautiful 15 mile ride! Check out the Abingdon alternative.
- Do you pick up in Abingdon? Yes, just call us to arrange that. Daily it's usually it's at 8:15 and 9:15 am. Other times by special arrangement.
- What about group rates? Yes, we have group rates. Groups of 12 or more.$24.24 for the package deal and $10.99 for the shuttle only.
- What is the surface of the Virginia Creeper Trail like? Crushed limestone and cinders left over from the train days. Firm in most places on the Whitetop to Damascus end, some rocky places on the Abingdon to Damascus end.
- Is it a strenuous ride? Nope, even people who haven't ridden in years can do this ride. That's what makes is so great!
- What's the weather going to be like on (fill in date here)? 74 degrees and sunny (Ok, not really, click the weather link above ;-)
- What are your hours of operation? 8am to 6 pm, 7 days per week. Call us toll free for reservations 276-475-6262 or 888-595-BIKE
- Do cell phones work on the Virginia Creeper Trail? Not on the upper section. You are in a gorge and in the middle of the forest most of the time. Thank goodness we don't have cell towers out there! They sometimes work on the Abingdon to Damascus section depending on your carrier. Damascus has service provided by Sprint and Verizon. Some Verizon customers get a signal in the parking lot in front of Mojoe's Coffee Shop. AT&T does not work in Damascus (can you hear me now?)
- Is a helmet required? Not required but highly recommended! They keep your brains safe.
- What is the elevation at Whitetop vs. Damascus? The Whitetop elevation is about 3500 feet and Damascus is about 1910 feet. That's almost a 1600 foot drop over 17 miles.
- Can I ride my bike up to Whitetop Station? Of course. It's a very pleasant ride with grades not exceeding 5%.
- Is there camping allowed on the Creeper Trail? How about other camping? Camping along the trail is fine as long as it's not on private property. The US Forest Service/Mt Rogers National Recreation Area also maintains some nice campgrounds. Look at them at www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/gwj/mr or click here.
- What about other lodging options in the Area? Try this lodging link to find other places to stay while you're visiting the Damascus and Abingdon area.
- What time does the 11 o'clock shuttle leave? Umm, maybe you better not be out on the trail by yourself...Buddy system!!!
- What's the story behind the Laughing Dog? Click this link and find out!
- What does the Virginia Creeper Trail look like? Here is a slide show link, take a look for yourself.
- I want to spend the weekend. What else is there to do in the Virginia Blueridge Highlands and Southwestern Virginia? Follow this link for more Creeper Trail Information and this link for area activities like Heartwood or Barter Theater information, Bristol Motor Speedway, country and bluegrass music and much more.
- I'm reading this web site, now I want to call you and ask you these same questions over the phone, how do I get in touch with you? Call us toll free at 888-595-BIKE (2453)
- Is it uphill from the bottom? Yes it is.
- If it rains, will we get wet? ??????
More Questions? Want to add your own stupid question?
call us 276-475-6262 or 888-595-BIKE or
e-mail us at info@AdventureDamascus.com